Sunday, March 14, 2010

Time Management

Tim Ferris (author of the 4-Hour Work Week) says this about time management: "Forget all about it." He defines effectiveness as doing the things that get you closer to your goals. Efficiency is performing a given task (whether important or not) in the most economical manner possible. Two corrolaries:
  1. Doing something unimportant well does not make it important.
  2. Requiring a lot of time does not make a task important.
I'm guilty of both. TO WIT-- How BUSY am I doing the unimportant?
I'm trying. I'm trying. But it's so hard.
How does this sound? "Being busy is a form of laziness -- lazy thinking and indiscriminate action." Also comes from Tim Ferriss. And: "Lack of time is actually lack of priorities."
I've even been known to busy myself making lots of priorities. Here's a trick (from Ferriss): define a TO DO list and define a NOT-TO-DO list. Wow.

No comments: